Friday, January 22, 2010

A moment spent alone doing something you enjoyed.


Hello all, the post today is a little bit more casual as it is about my private life. I have nothing to hide, so do not worry. Actually, I am almost 80% of the time being surrounded by people. From the early morning to the late afternoon, I am with my schoolmates, from evening to night, I am with my family. During the weekends, I go out with my family and have tuition. So, my life (almost every other teens as well) is extremely boring and repetitive. School, work, sleep. The vicious cycle never stops...

Only the holidays that can free us from the cycle. We can do whatever we want, whenever we want and however we want. I remembered this day in the particular holidays where I did something alone. I am in a way musically inclined (not boasting!), as I learn the piano. I am only in Grade 6, not very good for a late bloomer like me. I always get scolded by my piano teacher as I fail to meet the requirements. I feel a little stressed at that point of time as there is someone who pushes me on.

It is not that I do not like it, but I have differing views about music. As what Friedrich Nietzsche said, “Without music, life would be an error.” I agree with him as I think music is free flowing, you must feel the music going through your body, learn how to harmonise with it and listen to it. Music is not about getting a Diploma, or getting super perfect scores, it is about expressing yourself. What YOU really want to voice out. Your mouths are for your brains to speak, music is for your souls to express.

Coming back to the story, my grandmother went out to buy some groceries, and I was alone at home. Feeling bored from having too many things to do, like watching television, playing with electronic devices, doing homework and other stuff. I decided to open up the piano which I have not touched in 2 weeks. My hands were definitely stiffer after not practicing for a long time. I tried my pieces and it sounded quite okay. My expression was not really that good though. Due to my boredom, I decided to try and play a random song.

I flipped through the thick book of songs and found a piece more suitable for my age. The piece is like a waltz dance, which has a beat of "pom-cha-cha", a typical dance rhythm. It is the romantic period and famous composers are Schumann and Chopin. I started to play right hand then left hand. Sadly, I suck at sight reading. I could not play it well with both hands too. I felt extremely depressed as I could not even master a song. I do not reproach myself as I know my limitations too.

So now, I felt quite down as I could not master it. Suddenly, I felt the music of the piece going on in my head. It was melodious music indeed! I felt that I was dancing myself. 'The music is alive, it really is!' my brain was saying. Now, being powered by the music, I decided to play the song again. I started to play the waltz and the song in my head accompanied me and slowly, I was synchronising with the music! I was pacing myself with the music, not the other way round. Soon, I finished the song! I jumped out of the seat and said, "YES!". Something felt weird. Usually, I am not able to pass any sight reading, but today, I could actually master a song.

This was the moment I enjoyed doing something alone, which was to play my music. The funny thing was, in the next piano lesson I had, I tried to show off my 'amazing' skills to the teacher but I could not remember the notes, how it sounds like as a whole. I got scolded for wasting time and got on with the lesson. That is definitely the best moment I spent alone doing something that I enjoyed, which is none other than - MUSIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment